Graduate Study Abroad

The Department of European Languages and Transcultural Studies strongly encourages students to take advantage of opportunities to immerse themselves in French and Francophone and Italian culture abroad. In addition, the University of California System’s Education Abroad Program is open to graduate students enrolled in the department. We sponsor a number of such programs that enable students to study or work for the summer, a semester, or an entire year.

Ecole Nationale Supérieure

Ecole Nationale Supérieure (ENS) is reserved for graduate students. Students can spend an academic year in France working on a research project or taking courses while registered at UCLA and earning credits toward the degree. Interested students should contact the Vice Chair for Graduate Studies or the EAP Office. The deadline for application each year is in mid-January.

Pisa Program

The UCLA College of Letters & Science has an exchange agreement with the Scuola Normale Superiore in Pisa, Italy, whereby one UCLA faculty member or graduate student is invited to participate in a research exchange with the Scuola Normale Superiore each academic year in order to encourage professional development in the areas of the Humanities, Social Sciences and Physical Sciences. This exchange allows for one visiting scholar to visit the Scuola Normale Superiore in Pisa for one to three months. The exact dates will be set by the faculty or graduate student recipient in coordination with the Scuola Normale Superiore. The home institution provides roundtrip airfare and $2,000 per month for living expenses for up to three months.

Applications should be submitted directly to Andy Bui and should include:

  1. Cover Letter
  2. A two-page (maximum) description of the proposed research that will be conducted during exchange.
  3. A brief endorsement by the department chair in the case of faculty applications and by the dissertation director or other suitable faculty mentor in the case of graduate students.

The submission deadline is usually end of Fall quarter. A faculty committee will review the applications and recommend a recipient.

NOTE: All exchange programs for the 2020-21 academic year have been canceled due to uncertainties regarding fall/winter/spring quarters. The dean’s office will notify us when the exchange program is reactivated.

UCLA Study Abroad International Education Office (UCEAP)

For more information on the graduate study abroad, please visit UCLA Study Abroad International Education Office website.